Write On Wednesday, Music Madness, Writing Madness, Inspirational Madness

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Field of Dreams

The Write on Wednesday Spark: Small expectationsAs I am thinking about education and learning, kindergarten and university, I have taken this week's writing exercise from one of my early childhood books. It is an activity I do with small children and one that always inspires so I thought it would be fun to see what the exercise inspires in adults. So, your prompt is: Imagine yourself as tiny as your thumb.Where would you live? What would you do?

I twisted the prompt a tiny bit and wrote a nonfiction piece about my life as a seven year old. I will admit ahead of time, nonfiction is NOT my best attribute, but I do love having a challenge. :)


I sat in a field of enchanting dreams; soaring grasses from Jack and the Beanstalk to lost buttons from a bear named Corduroy. The sunlight bounced off my skin, creating a blanket of everlasting warmth. I was seven; a child of nature’s imagination. Poetic stanzas grew tall within my mind as if it were Wordsworth himself whispering words of wisdom to me.
 I formed a devotion to nature, to life, and to imagination. Rocks were painted with colors of uncertainty and created with a personal canvas that told stories of Indian tribes. Leafs were also sacred in my world. I wanted to savor the veins that once seeped water pellets through the spine of the tree. I pressed each leaf into a journal and kept the memory alive.
Kickball was my sport of choice. Pushing each muscle that formed between my thigh and leg, I made sure the ball was nowhere in sight. The grasses of the field scratched the surface of my legs each time the ball rolled towards my position. I would come home with marks of love from the grasses embracing my legs.
The field of dreams also carried a night life of music. I waltzed with the sounds of crickets and katydids that were speaking a fresh language of affection. The stars of the night told stories of souls that found peace in another life.  I felt home; safe in the arms of the tall grasses and the faraway music of the night. I go there in my dreams, remembering each delicate detail that encouraged me to write and imagine.

6 comments:

Claire said...

Wonderful writing. I love writing as a child, and I can tell that you had a fun childhood. Great job on the prompt!

Lisa Shambrook said...

Gorgeous writing, really fired the images in my mind!

danneromero said...

very nice write. very delicate... just like the storyline.

Melinda Chapman said...

This is a gorgeous piece and really solid, easy-to-read writing. I think you've done a wonderful job of describing your general life as a child through the day and night of this field of dreams.
Don't shy away from writing non-fiction - you do a great job of it, contrary to what you may think. :) Your rich descriptions and character perspectives [as we see in your fiction] work equally well in reality worlds too. :)

Stephanie said...

@Claire - Thank you! I was one of those children that was constantly daydreaming.

@Lisa - Glad you could picture the images in your mind!

&Danneromero - Glad you enjoyed reading it. :)

@Melinda - Thank you so much! You gave me a confidence boost. I will now start to write more non-fiction pieces. :)

sjp said...

A wonderful assortment of imagery here, enjoyed the language used to describe each part.