Think about a place in nature that feels special to you. Perhaps it is somewhere you visited as a child. Or maybe you share a special outdoor space with your own children. This place, this space will be your prompt for this week's writing exercise. Write about a particular natural geography, a natural place or space close to your heart. Tell us about the weather, the landform , the creatures who live there, what the place means to you and why. You can write prose fiction, poetry, non-fiction and/or a photographic narrative. You might mix the landscape with a personal story. Wherever the prompt take you...Let us peek into your place.
This part of the piece was inspired by Savannah, Georgia. I went there a few weeks ago for my 23rd birthday. I was surrounded by glorious oak trees and was in awe of the entire area. Though this was inspired by a real place, I have imagined a few things and continue to write this story. It's a bit sci-fi ish....
*****Edited with a photo I took in Savannah, Georgia
The land that was stretched out before me was new. It had a smell of a fresh life, a new beginning, a rebirth to all things. Microscopic threads of grass patched me together in a lawn of quilts. The strands of lush green wrapped around me as if it was to release the toxic chemicals that were still etched in my body. At first, I felt melancholy, but I began to feel a sense of relief.
My weary eyes wondered through the home of the trees. I stayed in a moment of wonder and tranquility as I watched the sun pierce through the Spanish moss. I felt the tenderness of the sunlight embrace my face; kissing me as if I were a lover, a mistress of devotion. The trees were fiber optic, leaving me with a bit of blindness to the naked eye.
The light filled my sores of toxins. I felt alive for the first time. My veins filled my body with life and released elements of love to my thriving heart. There was something here for me. A rebirth to all things was appearing and I was chasing it through the strands of trees.
I looked beyond what was in front of me and there she was; the elegant creature that saved me from death.
8 comments:
There were parts of this I really liked. Some of your descriptions were brilliant - I loved 'Microscopic threads of grass patched me together in a lawn of quilts'
And there were some parts where I felt a little lost particularly in the last paragraph.
It may be that after a little editing it will all come right.
I hope you do work on it, I really do think you have the basis of something very, very good here!
Ditto to what the ever sensible Sarah Mac said!
In addition the piece feels like it comes from the realms of mysticism. Good job
:)
Wow! A very interesting perspective here, and I love the imagery. "I felt the tenderness of the sunlight embrace my face; kissing me as if I were a lover, a mistress of devotion". That was probably my favorite line. Great work!
I loved this. I love that it's a little confusing. Making us really think and need to continue reading to find out what's really going on. So very sci-fi.
I agree with Kim! I didn't feel that it was confusing. It's an intriguing snapshot of a larger story. I'd like to know where the character came from, and what creature saved them. I also love the voice of this piece, the character is already interesting in just this small excerpt. :)
Thank you all for your advice!! Glad you enjoyed this!
Some of the description really got me, like the lawn of quilts, just lovely. I like the idea of combining nature writing with sci-fi, it makes a great setting. I'd like to know more about your savior too!
You have the start of something very interesting here - the way you tie (no pun intended) the nature of the place together with the concepts of threads and quilts, it has a strong sewing theme to it. Perhaps bring this out even more?
Post a Comment