The Story Sisters By Alice Hoffman
Orginal Paragraph:
"Once a year there was a knock at the door. Two times, then nothing. No one else heard, only me. Even when I was a baby in my cradle. My mother didn't hear. My father didn't hear. My sisters continued sleeping. But the cat looked up."
My Rewrite:
"During the beginning of each fall season, there was a continuous knock at the door. The knock was always very feeble, but it was strident enough to hear. I would always gust to the door thinking that it was my grandmother coming back from one of her weekly trips. She would always bring back a present for my sister and myself. But alas, it was not my grandmother. No one else heard the knock. My mother always told me that it was the breeze. My father would be in his study room, so whenever I asked a question, I got a mumble. It was always gabble for a “yes” or a “no.” My sister believed I was making up stories just to get attention. I was the younger child, so of course she would consider such a thing. However, our cat would scurry to the door whenever I did hear the knock. Not only would she run to the door, but she would lie there all day. Perhaps there is a ghastly thing asking for its home on that specific day."
10 comments:
Stephanie. I loved your re-write this week. I'm not sure if I'm a little scared or not. It is really well written and I'm a little intrigued to read the original, I think. LOL Great work!
Anne xx
Well done! I got a little shiver down my back wondering who the mysterious visitor might have been.
Very interesting! Now I want to read the book :)
Good job, Stephanie. Intriguing, indeed.
Steph, this is really intriguing. You should continue the story because I'd love to read the next part.=)
Smiles,
Andy
Thank you all for your wonderful words! Glad everyone enjoyed reading it.
For those of you interested in the actual book, anything by Alice Hoffman is a fantastic read! Usually her books are about magic or the mystic of the outside world. I recommend checking out some of her books!
You provided a lot more back story to this scene, and yet it didn't detract from the mystery at all, but added more colour to the scene and perhaps even built more suspense. Well done.
Thank you for your kind words Sif! :)
Your last line was fantastic. Gave me goosebumps but what a fantastic story. I also want to read the original now. I haven't read it!
Sorry that it has taken me so long to read this - I fell behind in my reading this week.
x
Thank you Gill and it's no worries! :)
Post a Comment