My main writing forte is poetry, though I have written some fiction in my time. I wanted a new challenge for myself and take a stab at writing fiction again. This story is in the beginning stages and the characters are just now starting to develop.
The main working title for this piece is Abstraction. There will be many chapters to this story as it unfolds. I am itching to go so many ways with this fiction piece!! :)
Ch.1 New Lucky Number Please?
My day started out like any other day; clichéd and mind-numbing. My alarm clock went off at exactly 7:07 this morning. I chose to set my alarm that way because my auspicious number was 7. Though my hundreds of dollars spent on lottery tickets would beg to differ.
After coughing up a few hairballs of dust, I went and took my shower. Taking a shower was my time to reflect on all the thrilling responsibilities that I have yet to accomplish during my day. Calling the cops suddenly occurred to me. Yes, that is what I need to do! The bellicose neighbor next door was finally starting to seep into my veins a bit too much. His everyday ritual of drinking in the morning hours seemed to piss me off more today than any other day. I cut my legs shaving; needless to say, calling the cops on the idiot next door will have to wait.
I patched up my nicks from shaving and put on my suit of the day. Though working in a corporate office requires the same precise clothing, I became a rebel and changed mine up. Women were supposed to wear skirts and men would wear their sophisticated suits. I chose to wear a suit today wondering how many heads I could turn.
My job isn’t exactly boring; it’s more like describing a board game without the monopoly money. The job does not pay well, but I am honored to be working in such a place. Next week will mark my third year here. Not many people here are all smiles or friendly. My colleague Adam is smellier than he is friendly. I have come to believe that he does not own more than two pairs of socks. I can smell his feet twenty miles away. I thought about giving him an early Christmas present, perhaps a dozen of pearly white socks. But then again, Christmas is four months away.
I pulled up in the parking lot and realized I had forgotten to put deodorant on. Great! I am now joining Adam in the smelling smiles club. I checked myself a few times in the review mirror to make sure I was looking smart and intelligent. Check! I pinned my name tag on my blouse and realized the “a” in my name was beginning to fade. Though my name is Erica, my name tag would state other wise. I am now known as Eric. Now time to brace another manic Monday in this bland office of mine.
Cindy, my boss’s assistant, greeted me as she does every morning. Cindy is someone who is a poseur. I finally figured out why just a few weeks ago. She has become my boss’s new interest. I use that term lightly. She does have wonderful ideas when it comes to helping out around the office, but most of her ideas involve pillow talk with the boss. Her dyed hair was beginning to fade. I wondered if she knew that her hair was beginning to look as though she just mopped the floor with it. Nah, Cindy only remembers to wear her see thru clothing every day. She does not seem to be too troubled with that awful dyed hair job of hers.
“Good morning Erica! You’re looking quite, um, different today.” Cindy said, making regards to my ever so sophisticated suit.
“Yes, different is what I am feeling today. How’s the boss Cindy? Find any new escapades lately? I mean, for the conference that is coming up.”
Realizing what had come out of my mouth, I noticed I had truly became one of those rye smartasses. It is not that I didn’t like Cindy, I just never could understand why she felt the need to flaunt herself around the office as much as she did and still manage to keep a job.
Looking at me with such aversion, Cindy said “The boss is wanting to see you right away.”
I was baffled when Cindy spoke those words to me. Paul, my boss of all most three years, never has spoke to me more than a few times a year. Was this my defining moment of getting a promotion? Was I getting a raise? Maybe I am getting fired.
All of those things were spinning in my head as if I were on a marigold round. What would I do if I was being let go? I barely have enough money to keep food on the table.
No comments:
Post a Comment