Write On Wednesday, Music Madness, Writing Madness, Inspirational Madness

Monday, June 18, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction - Medicine

What it’s all about: Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week: MEDICINE


I stood there in the gloomy and frigid hospital room, watching with troubled eyes, wondering if this was going to be the day that my son would die. Life and death would take place at the same time in this room, I was sure of it. I could not move; my legs were numb and cemented into the center of the square designed floor, but my eyes stayed glued to my little boy, whom was still grasping his toy truck that had become his new favorite obsession. The ticking sound of the bland clock that was behind me was beginning to keep me in a daze; I was brought back to the sound of my son telling me that he needed me. It was in that precious moment of life and death, that I understood that no matter what the color or shape of the pill he took for his illness, I was his prescription of choice.

6 comments:

Victoria said...

So good, Stephanie, and so true. In a way I think both of our stories say the same thing. As I mentioned to someone else re: their FSF--healing requires someone to get better for. I truly hope this was fiction--that you didn't have to go through this kind of pain, and it you did, that it had a happy ending.

michelle said...

The natural and most cost-effective medicine... a mother's love! Therapy at its best!
I enjoyed your story!

Stephanie said...

@Victoria - Thank you for your kind words. Yes, this is pure fiction. I do not have any children nor have I had to experience such heartbreak, but I have lost a parent and went through the same sort of realization that this character went through.

Lisa Shambrook said...

So true...you must never under estimate the power a mother's love! As Victoria said, the most powerful survival instinct kicks in when you have someone to love.

C.C. said...

Just wrecked me. Fabulous story on this one. Nicely done.

Tara said...

This reminded me of my Aunt who endured this heartache over a period of nine years with her son (he was a cancer patient). Very realistic portrayal. I like how you used the prompt word to show the special bond between a parent and an ailing child.