Write On Wednesday, Music Madness, Writing Madness, Inspirational Madness

Monday, February 6, 2012

Nature's Treasure

The Write on Wednesday Spark:  Possessing Beauty
Write about a collection. Write about something you or ,someone you know, collects. Think about the "why" behind the collection - why is it important to collect this particular thing? How does it make the person feel to add another piece to their collection? Is the group of objects there to be seen, to be studied or simply kept together? Write a real life story or a piece of fiction. Wherever the prompt takes you...Keep your post on the short side: up to 500 words OR a 5 minute stream of consciousness exercise. Link your finished piece to the list and begin popping by the other links. Oh, and enjoy!


The ginkgo trees were swaying profusely as the wind gusted to a more heavier tone. I couldn’t catch my breath. It was as if the wind was holding me in its arms and flying me to a fresh, untouched place. Suddenly, the elegant woman with no name appeared before me. Her elongated, flowing brown locks danced with the wind. She did not notice my fragile state of fear. Her eyes fixated on the fan like leaves as they meshed onto the ground. She delicately picked each leaf up, treating them as if they were a newborn baby.

There was a box that had been settled in the ground for quite some time. I had stumbled upon it when I was rummaging around to find nourishment. It was locked and frozen beneath the sands of time.
After the serene creature finished picking up natures offspring, she opened the box without hesitation.

The leafs were placed carefully within the entrapment. Her glowing face started to shift as she continued to run her fingers through each particle of the green plant. I could sense a bit of nostalgia from this woman. She had a longing desire of something that was unknown.
She quickly finished with the last leaf and buried the box of natures treasures. Within seconds, she vanished into thin air.

My mind raced with curiosity and then I began to appreciate the concept of this woman’s desire to rescue the leaf. Nature was delicate, a flowing piece of lace billowing in the wind; and it needed to be saved.

10 comments:

Melinda Chapman said...

You create such fascinating worlds! Or perspectives of this world. I do wonder who the narrator is in this one, and the reason they're in this environment... :)

Naomi said...

Such an interesting piece. I too am wondering who the narrator is and why they are there?

I couldn't agree more that nature is delicate.

danneromero said...

What a nice thought. Saving nature. How lovely.

spring days, new growth said...

You have structured this piece well, with the woman wafting into, then out of the story, but leaving behind her legacy. This tempts the reader to ask the questions, who, why, where?
Great!

Tiffy Birch said...

I'm intrigued. I too was left wondering about the characters. The narrator almost seemed to be at this place against their will, with words of 'fragile state of fear' and 'rummaging around to find nourishment'???

Claire said...

I nominated you for an award on my blog. Check it out!

Stephanie said...

Glad you are all intrigued by this mysterious piece --- It is a sci-fi related story that I have been working on for quite sometime. I hope to someday have it published and on your bookshelves. :)

@Claire - Thank you so much! Going to go check it out now. :)

sjp said...

Such a kaleidoscope of nature that seemed to swirl with the pace of this piece, was quite pleasant.

Followed by the word 'cherish' as verification for this comment :)

Sarah said...

I love the ethereal quality of your writing - it sucks me in every time!

Rod Tyson said...

Love this, - intriguing, dreamlike, well done Stephanie :)