The Write on Wednesday Spark: Dear...This week's writing exercise is to write a letter. Write an open letter or write to someone more specific. Write a letter between two fictional characters or write a letter into a fictional piece you are already working on. Think about how differently you write depending upon who you are writing to. Your content in an open letter may differ to content in a private letter.
I am working on a sci-fi related story, so I struggled a bit with this prompt. But I tied it in with the story and came out with something unique. :)
My confusion led me to write an imaginary letter to the woman with no name. I had a vast amount of unusual questions. Minerals of compounds that formed within my brain needed a solution to this cryptic problem. I began my letter with questions, difficulties in learning things as to what it was I was supposed to see.
You are different, unique, and angelic. I seem to bask in your glow as you promenade through the marshlands. My anger subsides when you are near, but my confusion remains with me. I want to know things - to understand who you are. You speak with silence and though I can not hear your words aloud, I feel them when your eyes dance across me. Curiosity must take you to a place that you have never been. Ask me things, for I will tell you what you want to discover.
I too am curious. I am sealed into a womb of darkness and left without any answers. What is this place that we are building? I cannot help but wonder how I lived through the treacherous war and begin to create a new life with just silence. Where are we?
Everything that I asked within my head stirred up a mix of emotions. I began to cry and bury my head in the sands. The nightlife began to fall upon me and nothing but the waves of the ocean were heard.
9 comments:
I love the way you create this other world image - it's got an almost dream like quality and although this piece is about communicating through thoughts and in silence, I almost feel like there should be whale song or something in the background while I'm reading it.
ah, this was great. great wording... intriguing. i want more...
Wow, I love the line "You speak with silence and though I can not hear your words aloud, I feel them when your eyes dance across me." - beautiful!
Ooooh - I love that I now have a mountain of questions after reading this... It seems you left more unsaid than you actually said - I LOVE that!
Great job!
What an interesting and novel use of the prompt. I like the idea of writing to a character and see what pops up.
--Feisty Cat
Interesting take on the prompt. Fascinating, I want to know more about the character.
Beautiful! This is wonderfully eloquent and descriptive. I love the dream-like feel of it; the piece stirs such powerful emotions for me.
I am so pleased you were able to make the prompt work for you. Clever! I agree with the other comments, a definite dream like feel to this. My favorite line was the last - the nightlife falling down on your character was interesting, intriguing and felt scary almost?
Glad you all enjoyed reading this!
@Sam - So greatful my writing moved you.
Post a Comment