Write On Wednesday, Music Madness, Writing Madness, Inspirational Madness

Monday, November 28, 2011

Illume

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 26 - Look at the photo at the top of this post. What does it inspire in you? Set your timer for 5 minutes. With the photo in mind, write the first words that come into your head until the buzzer rings. If you aren't a visual person, you could try lighting a few candles and writing by candlelight. Different sensory experiences can be useful for inspiring creative writing so please play around to make the prompt suit your writing needs. If you do try writing by candlelight, let us know. I'd love to know how it works for you!

I had to write this piece in a bit of a rush, for I am nearing the end of my semester in College. Professors just LOVE to cram right before the Holidays!
This will be a continuation of an ongoing story that I have been working on. I wanted to leave the piece with some questions..... Enjoy!


The night was full of curiosity and unexpected events. Lightning bugs chased the moon that was forever illuminating with passion. She made her way towards the forest, entangling herself with a few fines. Ivy and thorns traced the nights path, but her heart kept telling her to move forward.

With a moment of distress, she suddenly saw a radiance of light that was bright enough to see miles away.
“A forest fire?” she thought to herself.

No. It was a field of vanilla scented candles - a pool of exotic fire. Her mind was racing along with her heart. Could it be her lover? A man that she thought was forever gone?

As she made her way to the field of glow, her pearly white dress was now sticking to her body. Sweat was dripping off of her as if it were wet paint. Her hands trembled while her mind was eager to find out if her lover had came back. To her, it was agony. Her lover had disappeared nearly a year ago. Candles were the only secret they had.

She crept closer towards the candles and heard a man’s voice. She turned around and yelped with terror. A face that she did not recognize stood before her.

7 comments:

Claire said...

Wow! Way to leave us gasping for more! That was great suspense, and a wonderful example of star crossed lovers. I would love to know what happens next!

Kirsty @ Bowerbird Blue said...

oooh creepy candles, secret lover, does leave you wanting more, good luck with your studies.

Lillie McFerrin said...

Lovely images you created! I definitely wanted to know what happens next :) I like the 'lightening bugs chased the moon' line...great stuff!!!

Janelle said...

What an interesting and unique story! But it's left me with so many questions! It had a romantic air to it, while being spooky at the same time.

spring days, new growth said...

eeek, I actually jumped when I read the last sentence! I'll be watching to see what happens next!
Kate

Sarah said...

I'm left wondering if it IS still him just in a form that she doesn't recognise ... Great writing!

InkPaperPen said...

I thought a field of candles sounded beautiful but then in the last sentences it suddenly became very scary. Funny how the same image can hold many different emotions! Keep at your story!