Write On Wednesday, Music Madness, Writing Madness, Inspirational Madness

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Blinding

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 25 - I heard a song on the radio during the week and I thought the lyrics would make an interesting prompt for WoW. So, write the words "The saddest thing I ever heard" on your page, set your timer for 5 minutes and write the first words that come into your head based on the given prompt.

This piece is about a young woman who is literally lost in a dream. When she wakes up from her dream, she discovers that she is blind......Happy reading!


Spring had finally arrived and Celia was ready to experience the fresh aroma of the flowers that were in bloom. Tulips, lilies, and buttercups bordered the fortress, creating an illusion of a flowerbed. She immediately imagined herself swimming in the ocean of petals, backstroking with each bloom in hand.

Birds began to swoop down and embrace her with their melodies. A song of a new life was starting to complete the spring air. Celia stretched out her delicate hands to motion for a blue jay to keep her company. The wings of the bird were wounded, but he flew to her as if she was his nurturing mother.

Bumble bees were circling around the prospering flowers, while looking for a place to receive their nectar. Celia watched them as they drank from the core of the flower. Her almond shaped eyes began to drip softly with tears. She could hear a clock ticking, slower at first, but strident with each tick. Suddenly, everything started to turn gray like ash.

The flowers were no longer in bloom. They withered away as if they were being melted with a torch. There were no birds swarming in the sky. Celia could no longer hear the mellow sounds of the blue jays. The yellow bumble bees that were hungry for their nectar were no where in sight.

With the confusion that Celia was experiencing, the ticking of the clock became louder. She then began to hear a man talking - a person’s voice that she did not identify.

“Celia, I am doctor Neeson. I am going to do everything I can to help you through this process.”

Celia shouted out with confusion, but later calmed herself down to ask the one question she needed the answer to.

“Why can’t I see anything?”

5 comments:

Hannah Marie said...

I love this!

Lillie McFerrin said...

Well written. As always :) I like how you used the clock ticking! Haunting and a great use of the prompt!!

InkPaperPen said...

I loved the idea behind this piece, unique. I especially liked the bit where the world starts to turn to grey. It's vivid and I felt the panic begin to set in. You could really take this piece further...Love it x

Sarah said...

The image of everything turning to ashes is very powerful - I can only imagine how terrifying it would be to find I couldn't see.

Stephanie said...

Many thanks to all of you! :)