What it’s all about: Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week: HARVEST
The day seemed long and continuous, which made the warmth of the sun create an unnerving sensation that produced pellets of sweat all over my body. Luckily, the vast amount of heat kept the memory of my excruciating pain hidden somewhere in the depths of my soul. The crops were withering away due to the extreme heat, and with a bowl of humidity lingering in the middle of September, I was still in charge of untangling the weeds and clipping the last bit of roots which remained a stiff color of brown. I did not mind taking the time to unravel a string of potatoes or radishes; it was therapeutic for me. The tangled roots reminded me of my disgruntled life and how everything appeared to be in a group of knots; however, my life was not easily untangled like a cord of radishes or any kind of vegetable, it took time, commitment, and patience to detangle a long life of unwanted ties.
3 comments:
Hi Stephanie
I really like this piece and your take on the theme ' Harvest; ...powerful stuff.
Kate
Great take on harvest. I liked the internal monologue of the narrator.
"it took time, commitment, and patience to detangle a long life of unwanted ties." - I love this; it speaks to my life so strongly, to the choices I made when I was your age. But I couldn't have written this sentence then, like you can--which tells me that you are making wiser choices. Good for you!
mine is here:http://www.thejadedlens.com/2012/07/04/just-weeds/
Post a Comment