Write On Wednesday, Music Madness, Writing Madness, Inspirational Madness

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction - Perseverance

What it’s all about: Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week: PERSEVERANCE

His mouth became parched, waterless, dry from the left over silence from the day before and all he could think about was the words of passion that spilled over the pages in front of him. He was dedicated to his education but devoted to facing his fears and his classmates. Stuttering through each delicate word, he made his way through the poem - a stanza that consisted of layers of heartbreak and emotion that moved apart of him that no one would understand. He escaped the paper wads, the name calling, the unusual stares, and transformed himself into a new person - a character that spoke a language of love and lust. Here in this place, he was safe, protected by the armor of a true white knight. 

6 comments:

Sandra Crook said...

I liked the idea of 'left over silence'. I guess he was having to read out loud in front of hostile classmates. Good one - and an unusual take on the prompt.

Unknown said...

You captured the stress of standing alone and speaking in class very well and how he over came it. Descriptively written. Loved it. x

Anonymous said...

I really like this. I have so much fear and doubt about my writing. I can't imagine reading it out loud to anyone, but the idea of slipping into a character is excellent.

Claire said...

That was incredible! I love the palpable descriptions, especially the dry mouth from "left over silence" wonderful, wonderful writing!

Anonymous said...

"Strutting through each delicate word" - I liked that line especially. You've done a nice job capturing the rolling emotions and stream-of-thought confusion he faces.

Lisa Shambrook said...

Sometimes a piece of work moves us so much that reading it aloud is almost impossible. Your description is perfect, and so beautiful. I loved him being protected by the armour of the words...