Write On Wednesday, Music Madness, Writing Madness, Inspirational Madness

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction - Sombrero

What it’s all about: Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.
This week: SOMBRERO





I watched her weave the colors delicately as she whispered a hymn about lost souls. She started with the color blue , an indigo color that reminded me of a new spring sky. With her needle in one hand and the colorful threads in the other, she began to create a masterpiece of wonder; a hat that would eventually travel all over the world, telling stories about the unknown. I could only sense that she wished she were traveling with the hat, for her hands were overused and her eyes needed different surroundings. Her life had been confined to a dust bowl of poverty and her way of surviving was to thread the colors of the rainbow onto a hat.

9 comments:

Sandra Crook said...

A very reflective piece - enjoyed it Stephanie.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Beautiful writing as always my friend!!

Jo-Anne Teal (jtvancouver) said...

Your story is paced so gingerly - as if lit by the hot sun. I also love the phrase: 'as she whispered a hymn about lost souls'. Very well done, Stephanie.

Lisa Shambrook said...

Really lovely thoughtful writing and I could visualise her hands threading those rainbow colours!

michelle said...

Your 5 sentences are woven together carefully, as beautiful and colourful as the sombrero your character has created...
Well done.

I'm visiting from Five Sentence Fiction.

Donna B. McNicol said...

Beautifully done! Fabulous imagery...

injaynesworld said...

This is exquisite and so poignant. Lovely work. I went a completely different way with this one.

Unknown said...

A beautifully written piece. She needs to make this hat to survive as it travels around the world on a tourist's head! The onoly colours in her life are the hat; so sad. xxxx

Anonymous said...

A different direction for the prompt, which I really liked -- and a great job using the contrast of colors to get across what the old woman is thinking. Nice piece!