Write On Wednesday, Music Madness, Writing Madness, Inspirational Madness

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction - Explosive

What it’s all about: Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the prompt word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just use it for direction.


This week: EXPLOSIVE


We had been running all evening, getting tangled in weeds, and fighting the mosquitoes that seemed to latch on to our skin. Nothing could slow us down, for we knew that the bombs that lay dormant underground were surrounding us. The deafening sound of explosions were everywhere and my heart felt weak with the thought of running another mile. We had no choice; the world was floundering and we had to find a way to escape. I let my spirit animal guide me through the forest and I began to draw an imaginary map that led me to finding a key.

7 comments:

Sandra Crook said...

There was a good sense of movement in this piece. I liked the reference to 'spirit animal' too, which hinted at some other realm. It's a good taster for whatever follows.

Anonymous said...

Makes me wish for more of the story, the time, the people, their destination... Please :-)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love it as always!! You're so good at these!

Rain said...

I was a tad confused by the word 'key' at the end of the piece; it doesn't quite match the rest of the piece, if you know what I mean.

On another note, you left me begging for more. Who are the people running through the forest? Do they live there? Who planted the bombs? Why did they do this? What kind of world do these events take place in? Oh, yes, I would love to read more.

/ Rain

Donna B. McNicol said...

More please?

Lillie McFerrin said...

Like everyone else, it left me wanting to know what happens next! Nice job :)

Stephanie said...

Thanks everyone! I will do my best to add to the adventure of this story.

@Rain - I apologize for the confusion...I was debating on whether or not that would fit. :)